Saturday, February 11, 2012

Intro to GPS


Well, to begin this blog I have to say how awkward I felt driving around my neighborhood, stopping at every fire hydrant, and tracking the coordinates. You know how someitmes you sit in your living room and you see a "creeper" driving up and down your streets and you think, "What the heck is this guy up to?" I was that creepy person today ;).

On that note, I actually had a lot of fun doing this. I used my Android phone, with the MyTracks application. I was able to share "with friends" right from the application to GE as a KML file. It was SUPER easy, and very interesting.

In my image, you can see that my coordinates are located in the 41N / 83W with varying minutes and seconds.  I labeled each hydrant as FH1-FH10. MyTracks also allows you to add notes to each marker, and that is where I chose to keep my thoughts on the condition of each hydrant.

To sum up, this lab on paper was very intimidating. Once I got out and mapped the coordinates I really surprised myself at how much fun I actually had. 








No comments:

Post a Comment